Our Deluxe Wigwam is situated on an old croft on the Island of Westray in the Orkney Islands. The croft is on the bay of Tuquoy (with a wonderful sea view) and is near a salt marsh which attracts migrating birds. Low tide reveals a large sandy bay and provides a great opportunity for walking and beach combing.
Longbigging croft is a 5-10 minutes drive from the village of Pierowell and local amenities including 2 family owned supermarkets, a hotel serving food and drinks, a gallery, a swimming pool and gym room, clothes shop, the 'old byre' (which has local singers and musicians performing weekly during the summer season) and the local ferry to the next door island of Papa Westray (which has the Knap of Howar archeological site).
Westray is an exciting island to visit and explore with a Castle (Noltland with its elaborate defences), 2 medieval churches, Quoygrew Viking longhouse, Links of Noltland archaeological site (it's Bronze Age sauna was recently featured and a replica trialled on BBC TV ), Westray Heritage Centre and Noup Head Lighthouse & RSPB reserve. There are a number of walking trails on the island, which take in cliffs and beautiful white sandy beaches. From a wildlife perspective there are seals playing in the shallows, an assortment of birds on the shores and cliffs and one of the highlights of the year (through late spring to late July) the puffins comically going about their nesting business at the Castle of Burrian sea stack.
Frequently Asked Questions
Our heated Wigwam comfortably sleeps up to 4 people, the cabin includes
- Open plan sleeping area (sleeps 4) with a double bed and a double pull out sofa bed.
- En suite bathroom (with toilet, shower and heated towel rail)
- Kitchen / dining area with hob (with pan, frying pan, camping cutlery and plates/ bowls), fridge, toaster and dining table.
Cooking equipment is provided (pan and frying pan) as is camping cutlery and plates/ bowls.
Bedding and towels are not provided as part of the standard booking. A Bedding pack (double duvet, sheet, 2 x pillows and two bath towels) is available at a charge of £25 per stay.
The Wigwam is
- 5.5 miles away (approx 10 mins drive) from the Rapness car ferry (to Kirkwall the main Orkney island). The Westray bus service provides a connection between the ferry and Pierowell village.
- 5.5 miles away (approx 15 mins drive - a little longer time wise as it's through the village) from the island's airport (flights on 7 seater plane to Kirkwall)